How do I get the user_id, because the links I find don't seem to work

I’ve been trying to simply find a channel’s user_id. I’ve been googling and been finding links like these: https://api.twitch.tv/v5/users?login=channel_name. I always get {"error":"Bad Request","status":400,"message":"No client id specified"} when inserting this into the browser. If this is supposed to be done via curl only, I will have to find out how that works.
I’d appreciate any help!

You need to register an application via dev.twitch.tv to get a Client ID. This needs to be sent in the HTTP headers with the request. You cannot do this in browser without extensions.

I have the client ID. How would I go about sending with the request? yes, I am very new to this part of programming.

That’s going to depend on the language and any libraries you might be using. I’d start from the language documentation for HTTP requests, if there is one, and move to looking into HTTP or Twitch libraries for the language after that.

I am using NodeJS at the moment. I’ll have a look at it. If you have any experience with Nodejs, please enlighten me.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.