I'm confused. If the new Twitch API is helix, why is it using kraken end points?

I am trying to learn how to do server to server requests.

In this post Barry says the new Twitch API uses helix

But getting new app access tokens, you post to kraken

On your server, get an app access token by making this request:

POST https://api.twitch.tv/kraken/oauth2/token
?client_id=
&client_secret=
&grant_type=client_credentials
&scope=

Am I looking in the wrong docs for the new Twitch API?

Or, as a developer, you are suppose to use both kraken and helix for the new Twitch API?

Both APIs use the same authentication flow that lives under a kraken URL at the moment. Not sure I’d consider it a part of kraken as far as API versions go. The terminology I personally use is v3, v5 and Helix.

It’s also worth keeping in mind that Helix isn’t complete yet, as the roadmap shows there is much more work to the API on the way. I would hope part of those futures plans would be to have authentication done through a helix endpoint (or maybe just the root api.twitch.tv) seeing as v3/v5 is scheduled to be removed at the end of 2018.

@corgrath check out this post by @jbulava in another thread : The new Twitch API docs are live

It gives a good explanation about the current state of the authentication docs and how auth is not tied to any specific API version

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.