[Theory] Automated Viewbot Targeting via API scans?

NOTE: I apologize if this is in the wrong area, I’m a newbie to the site. I am open to all ideas or concepts on this theory, so feel free to share. Once again, this thread is strictly THEORY and is not meant to orchestrate viewbot development or deployment.

To start, let me set the table:

I have a friend that likes to stream a variety of games, including Halo: The Master Chief Collection. He streams a ton and enjoys what he does, but his viewer average is anywhere from 10 to 30 viewers, sometimes more if it's a specific game. In the past month, he has streamed Halo: MCC around 3 times, and we have noticed something odd: when he changes his game title to Halo: MCC, his viewer count rises to around 30-40 people consistently. After a slight amount of digging, official sources list his channel as having around 10 viewers at all times. This happens every time that he streams Halo: MCC and occurs for as long as he has his Stream Game set to said game. Onto my theory:

Would it be possible to write an automated bot that would constantly monitor a list of online streamers for specific content and to activate its primary function when a piece of content matches using API calls? I am a complete newbie to the site's API, so I admittedly don't know its functionality, but with how consistent and precise this is, it appears to be something of the sort to me. We have yet to track the source and it's beginning to get annoying. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Of course this is possible. You can get the online status of anybody streaming via the API. It’s possible that MCC is a more popular directory than the previous game he was playing, so he might see a natural rise. Regardless, if he suspects viewbotting, he should report it via help.twitch.tv.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.