/w, /color and the purpose of #jtv

While trying to implement commands in a chat bot, I realized that you need a channel for both whispers (/w) as well as to change your color (/color). As both of these have to be sent as a PRIVMSG, it seems that you have to specify a channel. However, both commands are obviously channel-independent.

I understand that, if a whisper has been initiated in a certain channel, we should use that channel - but sometimes, there just is no applicable channel. Same goes for the color command.

While searching through the posts here, I saw several people advising to use the #jtv channel for whispers. I tried the same for the color command and both works. However, I wonder if this is the correct way to do it and why we would use this specific channel instead of… well, any other channel, really?

I always send out via the channel that I primary operate in.

#jtv made sense back in the day, for historical reasons, but it really doesn’t matter.

Just use the channel that is the same as your bot name. (As there was a time when #jtv channel was broken and a lot of peoples whispering’s broke)

1 Like

I did not consider using the bot’s own channel. That’s actually a very nice idea, I’ll go with that. Thank you!

I’m still wondering where the #jtv recommendation is coming from? Someone randomly slammed his fingers on the keyboard and decided “this is the channel we’re all going to use for whispers”? Just curious. :slight_smile:

Twitch(tv) used to be called Justin(tv)

jtv is the bot that handles op status on IRC
jtv was originally the “channel” that whispers came from.

It’s just a history thing from the original implementation

1 Like

That makes a lot more sense. Which reminds me that the MODE messages still comes with the :jtv prefix, indicating that said bot is indeed still handling these.

Thank you for clarifying!

More that MODE has to come from “something” for IRC client compatability

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.