So I just started dev’ing on Android, and I wanted to add several features to my Android app:
- Show all the users in chat (excluding the streamer)
- Allow the user to update the title / game
Things I already know / have:
- How the API token system works
- How to connect to IRC in Twitch using TMI
- Title / game edit fields + update button
- How to use the authorization token + the title / game strings to update the title / game
I would have the app poll twitch’s API every 5 seconds.
My issues (of which I need help with):
- I will ask about how to connect to the IRC on another site, so are all the user’s in the IRC channels invisible? (+i) I don’t want to have the client join a channel to see the user list, if possible.
- I am using Java + XML in my application, how do I get the auth token on android?
I could open the default browser to the API link for my application (to get the token) but then how do I get the API’s token into a string?
(I would ask this on Stack Overflow, but I cannot sadly)
(Also I already asked an admin if this app could have the “special” permission grant-flow, and he said write a websocket)
Finally I wanted to ask, should I have the application set to poll every 5 seconds? I don’t want to spam the API, and I found that the more you request info from the API, the slower it updates… Any words on this? Is there a way I could do this better?
Thanks in advance!