Android/IOS Video Player?

Hi,

Will you ever consider making an Android / IOS video player? Using webviews is not really ideal. Youtube have something like this going https://developers.google.com/youtube/android/player/

We generally don’t speak to plans with the API or new functionality. What isn’t ideal about using a WebView? Curious to hear your feedback.

When I use a webview and also use webView.getSettings().setUseWideViewPort(true); to make sure the video fits to screen, the controls on the player go tiny. If I try to set it manually without setting use wideviewport then the controls go huge. So either way it’s difficult for the user.

The other thing with the webview in Android is some devices just don’t work well with it. The video also sometimes lags and freezes for a while.

Hi again, one more question. Would it be ok, and is it possible to disable the Twitch player controls and then make my own? This would solve the problem for me. I was thinking of using:

<script src= "http://player.twitch.tv/js/embed/v1.js"></script>
<div id="{PLAYER_DIV_ID}"></div>
<script type="text/javascript">
    var options = {
        width: 854,
        height: 480,
        channel: "{CHANNEL}",      
        controls: false
    };
    var player = new Twitch.Player("{PLAYER_DIV_ID}", options);
    player.setVolume(0.5);
</script>

Not sure if controls: false would have any effect though.

It isn’t supported to replace the existing controls overlay with new controls. The interactive embed that you referenced does allow some control over the player via JavaScript.

I played with this for a while and found a way to make it work.

You can load HTML directly into the webview. If you add :
<meta name="viewport" content="width="devicewidth"/>

into the HTML and then make the Twitch player half the size of device width, you can set the initial scale of the webview to 100%. The controls for the player will then be larger and the video still fits to screen.

Hope it helps someone.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.