Announcing a new version of Drops for game developers

Today, we’re excited to bring game developers a new version of Drops – with an improved viewer experience, new publisher self-service dashboard, and more. We’ve been listening to your feedback, adding features that you’ve requested while giving you more control to create campaigns that are most suited to your game and its goals.

With all the new features and improvements in this new version of Drops, we now consider the existing version a legacy product that we will no longer support after January 15, 2021 February 21, 2021. If you have a legacy Drops integration, you will still be able to create and run campaigns using these legacy endpoints until that time.

For more information, please see our blog post announcement. If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to add them below.

Update (2020-12-18): The sunset date for legacy Drops campaigns has been extended and reflected above.

Update (2020-02-22): Legacy Drops campaigns have now been decommissioned.

1 Like

I already posted it in Twitch Dev discord, but will also duplicate it here for a better chance for someone from dev team to actually see it.

When I first heard about the development of new version of Drops system I was super excited, legacy system was a bit painful to setup and test. Unfortunately, it turned out that Drops 2.0 is much more restrictive than the Drops 1.0 and it is very frustrating for our team. I totally get that deprecation of VHS is required to minimize privacy related issues, but it also heavily limits our possibilities for game integration. And what’s more, new Enhanced Experiences api, which is required to implement event-based drops, is limited to a handful amount of organizations and requirements for getting access are still unknown. During our previous in-game events we basically were able to customize drops reward in any way we wanted, with in game events, special game-related conditions, randomization, we could do threshold for amount of viewers, stream time and anything else. With the new version all of that is gone, everything our community was used to is no longer available (starting from January).

And to make things worse, legacy system will be supported for only 6 months after deprecation, which in reality is a pretty tight window to adjust our systems and plans regarding twitch rewards. I actually have no idea how all these decisions were made but for an average developers such changes are really uncomfortable.

Really looking forward for upcoming changes in drops system, I believe that there are a lot of things which can be improved.

1 Like