As a developer, can I control the "Traffic Source" when embedding videos?

As a developer who embeds Twitch videos on a third site, I have noticed that when visitors view the video on that site, their views show up as “others” in the “Traffic Sources” column when looking at “Video Stats”.

As a developer, is there any way that I can help differentiate that views are coming from this third party site?

I tried using utm_source on the video URL without success. Is there any other way?

If not, how does this list of “Traffic Sources” work? Can I add a new source to the list, or is it a fixed list?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

2 Likes

Looking into this.

1 Like

What is your use case for being able to specify? Currently, this is a fixed list of large referrers with an others category for everything else.

This is just from a pure business investigation.

Simply put, we are working on a service that, among other things, embeds Twitch videos.

Visitors might might play the videos directly on our site, instead of actually going to Twitch.com.

However, since the videos we are storing in our database to embed on our site, does actually not require any action from the Streamer (we will fetch and embed various videos automatically) the Streamer might not know why suddenly one of their videos gets a huge number of views (which is good for all parties, both the Streamer (if eligible) and Twitch.com gets ad revenue).

However, there is actually nothing showing our brand to the Streamer, since, from what we noticed, its ending up as “others”. So there is no incentive for the Streamer to help us adding their content to our platform, to increase their audience.

So that’s why I am wondering. If it was a fixed list, or if we programmatically could set an embed source.

I understand that you can’t update your fixed list per new website that gets created every 5 minutes, but, do you have any policies that puts new external sites into that list? For example, do you actively notice if, lets say, 50,000 views are coming from a website, and then add them to the list?

I am just curious how this works, if actually have a policy and processes in place, or its just a list some developer did 2 years ago and no one actually looks at that part of the code anymore :wink:

Hope you understand my point of view =)

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.