Bot Development in Java - Where to start

Hey guys,

i already developed a mIRC-Script based chatbot for a friend of mine which streams quite often.
It includes a guessing and rewards syste, and a link protection to avoid scammer links.

While it was fun to learn mSL i still feel somewhat crippled by it.
I cant utilize my experience i gathered with Java.

That’s why i’m asking the following questions:

• Does switching from mIRC with msl to java worth it? I’m assuming i can realize complex stuff much easier, but have to deal with IRC related stuff
  • Will the protocol itself be changed somewhat in the future? from IRCv3 to sth. different?
  • Is there a library that deals with the Twitch IRC already? That would easen the start alot.

I appreciate every information.
Thanks alot in advance

regards

Short answer: Yes, it’s definitely worth switching to Java (or any other programming language)

That’s totally up to Twitch

I used to use PircBotX in Java because it does pretty much everything for you and it’s very easy to add your own functionality. I had to modify it a bit to make it work perfectly with Twitch IRC though.

1 Like

I used to use PircBotX2
in Java because it does pretty much everything for you and it’s very
easy to add your own functionality. I had to modify it a bit to make it
work perfectly with Twitch IRC though.

Finished the setup of this one yesterday evening. I’m still looking for a “send msg” function that does not write the name of the person that iniciated the event first, but i’m sure i’ll find that soon.

Thanks alot.

If anyone got something to add here, feel free to do so.
best regards

For sending a message like printing to chat with PircBotX I use:

event.getChannel().send().message(“Message goes here”);

For getting a message I like using:

event.getMessage().equalsIgnoreCase(“Message goes here”)

Imports I use

import org.pircbotx.hooks.PircBotX;
import org.pircbotx.hooks.Event;
import org.pircbotx.hooks.events.MessageEvent;;

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.