Chat box in a test environment / for capture

HEy everyone, I’m working on a short film where I want to re-create the feeling of a twitch chat - making it in after effects is insane w/ trying to include my own memes and emotes etc - is there a way I can launch a chat window where I can feed everything into it - user names, emotes, memes, links, etc and just let it run + screen cap it?

There’s no way to do this through the chat system itself, but as the chat window is HTML one option that would be entirely client-side would be to write a script that manipulates the DOM and creates elements with whatever text you like.

One important thing to keep in mind though is that Twitch’s legal guidelines on use of emotes for things including ‘creative works’ which your short film would fall under:

https://www.twitch.tv/p/en-gb/legal/trademark/

So without explicit permission from Twitch (or individual channels if you want to use channel emotes), you should not use emotes.

Thanks Dist - yeah definitely creating 100% custom all my own emotes, colors, etc - thats why it might ultimately be better to make in after effects buuuut…feels like this HTML solution might be more elegant somehow… :confused:

is there a way I can launch a chat window where I can feed everything into it - user names, emotes, memes, links, etc and just let it run + screen cap it?

You could put multiple bots in (one of your) own channel(s) and simulate a chat this way. Downside is that you would have to create as many bot accounts as you want to simulate users in the channel. Also, you could only use the emotes provided by Twitch or the streamers your bot accounts are a sub of.

It would probably be easier to simply build a simple clone of the Twitch chat; it isn’t exactly a complicated piece of HTML/CSS after all. Then you could script it anyway you want, for example having a JSON file with the chat contents you want to appear. Downside is that you would first have to create the chat clone. Upside is that you can include your custom emotes that aren’t actually uploaded to Twitch.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.