Chat Command/Message limit

I’ve been working on a chat monitoring service, currently I’m opening a new connection for each channel to monitor, since this is seemingly the only way to know the scope of messages from ‘jtv’.

Does anyone know if the chat message limit is for each IP, each connection or each user?

if an account sends 20+ messages in a 30 second span it will be banned for 8 hours, that’s the only limit I am aware of

The docs say

If you send more than 20 commands or messages to the server within a 30 second period, you will get locked out for 8 hours automatically.

But there is no specification for “you”. I know that a user gets banned (IP ban included I think) if you send it all from one authenticated user, but what happens if I have multiple authenticated users sending messages via one IP?

Multiple accounts is fine. It only counts if its the same account.

1 Like

Great! So that means if my users authorize chat, my server can connect to IRC with their tokens simultaneously, as long as each connected token doesn’t exceed the message limit.

Yes. If even one does though, the IP is globally banned for 8 hours, which includes all users connected.