Depreciated Tags, turbo, user-type, and subscriber

I’ve noticed a few of the IRC tags have been depreciated. Namely user-type, subscriber, and turbo. And I see it is advised to use the badges tag to determine these values.

Are badges to be the authority on the matter? I ask because in the examples the Non-Bits example has the turbo tag and the turbo badge.

> @badges=global_mod/1,turbo/1;color=#0D4200;display-name=dallas;emotes=25:0-4,12-16/1902:6-10;id=b34ccfc7-4977-403a-8a94-33c6bac34fb8;mod=0;room-id=1337;subscriber=0;tmi-sent-ts=1507246572675;turbo=1;user-id=1337;user-type=global_mod :ronni!ronni@ronni.tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #dallas :Kappa Keepo Kappa

The Bits example, however, has the turbo tag, but NO turbo badge.
Is this simply a typo in the example?

> @badges=staff/1,bits/1000;bits=100;color=;display-name=dallas;emotes=;id=b34ccfc7-4977-403a-8a94-33c6bac34fb8;mod=0;room-id=1337;subscriber=0;tmi-sent-ts=1507246572675;turbo=1;user-id=1337;user-type=staff :ronni!ronni@ronni.tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #dallas :cheer100

Should I ignore a turbo tag if there is no turbo badge?

Also, I have noticed with these example messages that most are users from their own channel. I would expect the broadcasted badge to be present. It seems the broadcaster badge is not present with a global_mod, staff, or admin user as that badge takes that ‘slot’

So… I’m questioning how good of an idea it is to determine user-types with badges that users can toggle on/off

And lastly, the tag mod has not been flagged as depreciated. Should I still use badges to see if they are a moderator or the tag? The mod badge seems more reliable than turbo as the user cannot toggle that off in their Edit Appearance settings.

Turbo users can choose to use or hide their turbo badge. The badges tag represents what the official chat clients will display next to the user.

Badges currently have 4 ‘slots’:

1. Global access (staff, admin, global mod or none)
  2. Channel access (broadcaster, moderator, vip, none)
  3. Subscriber (sub badge or none)
  4. User choice (under edit appearance; turbo, prime, bit badges, etc.)

What’s your use-case for knowing if a user has turbo, if they’ve hidden their badge?

I personally do not have a use case. I’m helping with a library that consumes the TMI and I was asking to make sure I (we) are doing things properly. I’m not focused on ‘turbo’ in particular but the general depreciation of those tags.

So the badges tag is for display purposes in chat. Makes sense. That’s it’s purpose as a tag.
I guess since you can hide them that Twitch wants to remove the flag for it.