Determine whether channel is banned from Twitch or does not exists

I have some channel logins, and some of them are deleted, banned, or temporary blocked. Since the use of GQL is not allowed, how can I do this using other APIs?

There is no API that lets you tell the difference between a deleted or banned account.

One that is banned or deleted jsut disappears from the third party API

Even connecting to the channel will return

@msg-id=msg_channel_suspended : tmi.twitch.tv NOTICE #REDCATED :This channel does not exist or has been suspended

So you can’t tell the difference there either

Essentially it’s a “privacy” thing I believe.

This is strange because even on twitch.tv in any chat of any channel you can type
/user username
and get a card which says that this user is temporarily or permanently banned if so

That refers to the ban/timeout in that channel and as a moderator/broadcaster you have the authority to review data pertaining to your channel.

It doesn’t refer to a site wide “ban” which is an entirely different kettle of fish.
A site wide “ban” is not data pertaining to your channel.

Or if you are thinking about this for example (as a non mod in a channel):

That doesn’t tell you if it’s a ban or a deletion.

But if the channel does not exists, there is the message: “No user matching that login.”
I would like to differ suspended or deactivated accounts from non-existing ones

There is no way to do that in the API.

A given username, will not return via Get Users

• if that name never existed
  • if that account is deactivated
  • if that account got TOS’ed

The API just will not return them.

This doesn’t make sense :man_facepalming:
Thank you for the answer

Another point just to add to the conversation on a usernames potential state, “No user matching that login.” being returned by the user card could also mean several things.

• That user name may be valid, never used, and available
  • It could be previously held by an account that changed name, and so is reserved and not available
  • It could now be for a Twitch account that’s a redirect and not an actual user, and not available for use
  • It could be a reserved name, and not available for use

None of that can be determined by the API either.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.