Hello, and thanks for reading this post!
I ran into a problem when I tested my tool on banning an amount of bot accounts.
The tool uses an event handler to listen for new ban events. Then the username that was just banned is written to a file. During the tests, I found one specific username that did not behave as expected: bryan1231.
Because when I use the command
/ban bryan1231, the ensuing message I will receive is
ブライアン442 is already banned in this channel. (Don’t pay attention to the already banned notice. Yes, I’ve tested this before and I’m not unbanning in-between tests.)
To me, it looks like a mismatch in string encoding, although I can’t figure out in what encoding messages are sent. To my knowledge, I’m decoding UTF-8. And, it should be mentioned, this is the only bug of this kind I’ve encountered among hundreds of usernames. And it occurs consistently. I’ve not been able to receive “bryan1231” in a notice.