Dropped Messages

For whatever reason my chat bot (one a secondary account) cannot receive messages from my primary account on the same network. The userlist recognizes that the primary account is connected, but no messages make it through. Migrating to EsperNet for testing, all messages are received, ensuring that it is an issue with Twitch not my settings. It would be great to see this fixed, as it would make testing bots significantly easier. For the time being I may be able to trigger commands from the bot’s own chat, strangely enough.

This most likely isn’t an issue with TMI, as the servers have been relatively stable as of late.

If you are using a pre-built IRC library, sometimes they may be incompatible with Twitch. If there’s debugging within the IRC library, you should print everything you are sending and receiving to/from the server and check that it’s not the library itself causing issues.

> -> irc.twitch.tv CAP LS
> -> irc.twitch.tv PASS oauth
> -> irc.twitch.tv NICK degnellahcyllausaC
> -> irc.twitch.tv USER TYKUHN2 0 * :...
> <- :tmi.twitch.tv 410 :Invalid CAP command
> <- :tmi.twitch.tv 001 degnellahcyllausac :Welcome, GLHF!
> -> tmi.twitch.tv USERHOST degnellahcyllausac
> <- :tmi.twitch.tv 002 degnellahcyllausac :Your host is tmi.twitch.tv
> <- :tmi.twitch.tv 003 degnellahcyllausac :This server is rather new
> <- :tmi.twitch.tv 004 degnellahcyllausac :-
> <- :tmi.twitch.tv 375 degnellahcyllausac :-
> <- :tmi.twitch.tv 372 degnellahcyllausac :You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.
> <- :tmi.twitch.tv 376 degnellahcyllausac :>
> -> tmi.twitch.tv MODE degnellahcyllausac +i
> <- :tmi.twitch.tv 421 degnellahcyllausac USERHOST :Unknown command
> -> tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
> <- :degnellahcyllausac!degnellahcyllausac@degnellahcyllausac.tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
> -> tmi.twitch.tv MODE #tykuhn2
> <- :degnellahcyllausac.tmi.twitch.tv 353 degnellahcyllausac = #tykuhn2 :degnellahcyllausac
> <- :degnellahcyllausac.tmi.twitch.tv 366 degnellahcyllausac #tykuhn2 :End of /NAMES list
> <- :tykuhn2!tykuhn2@tykuhn2.tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
> <- :tykuhn2!tykuhn2@tykuhn2.tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #tykuhn2 :Testy
> -> tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #tykuhn2 :Testy
> <- :tykuhn2!tykuhn2@tykuhn2.tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #tykuhn2 :Received Testy
> -> tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #tykuhn2 :Received nothing

TYKUHN2 receives all messages. The other impossible to spell nickname is recieving nothing. Same client, multiple seperated connections.
TYKUHN2 was connected before the log
The other one was not.
← Sent
→ Received

Deleted the last line. The line was the QUIT event. The client was closed.

From your logs I can spot nothing wrong.

<- is received, not sent
-> is sent, not received

There were two accounts connected both connections were seperate but in the same log. I am going to post tomarrow a log where both connections are seperated.

Logs from the main account. Remember same network.

SEND tmi.twitch.tv PING :TIMEOUTCHECK
RECEIVE :tmi.twitch.tv PONG tmi.twitch.tv :TIMEOUTCHECK
SEND tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
RECEIVE :tykuhn2!tykuhn2@tykuhn2.tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
SEND tmi.twitch.tv MODE #tykuhn2
RECEIVE :tykuhn2.tmi.twitch.tv 353 tykuhn2 = #tykuhn2 :tykuhn2
RECEIVE :tykuhn2.tmi.twitch.tv 366 tykuhn2 #tykuhn2 :End of /NAMES list
RECEIVE :degnellahcyllausac!degnellahcyllausac@degnellahcyllausac.tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #tykuhn2 :Testing
SEND :degnellahcyllausac!degnellahcyllausac@degnellahcyllausac.tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
RECEIVE tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #tykuhn2 :Testing
RECEIVE tmi.twitch.tv QUIT :
RECEIVE tmi.twitch.tv QUIT :

Logs from secondary account. Remember same network.

SEND tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
RECEIVE :degnellahcyllausac!degnellahcyllausac@degnellahcyllausac.tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
SEND tmi.twitch.tv MODE #tykuhn2
RECEIVE :degnellahcyllausac.tmi.twitch.tv 353 degnellahcyllausac = #tykuhn2 :degnellahcyllausac
RECEIVE :degnellahcyllausac.tmi.twitch.tv 366 degnellahcyllausac #tykuhn2 :End of /NAMES list
SEND tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #tykuhn2 :Testing
RECEIVE :tykuhn2!tykuhn2@tykuhn2.tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
RECEIVE :tykuhn2!tykuhn2@tykuhn2.tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #tykuhn2 :Testing
SEND tmi.twitch.tv QUIT :

It appears that the main account receives all messages, meaning it has something to do with my main account TYKUHN2. Also replaced the arrows with actual send receive words so that it is a bit more readable.

Again, there’s probably something in your configuration or code that is causing the issue. Your logs are also not entirely clear as there is mixed data (you have RECEIVE tmi.twitch.tv QUIT : in the top log without sending a QUIT, and you’re sent and received messages look misplaced). This means that you’re outputting logs to the same file, without labeling each connection. There’s no way to ensure which logs are from a specific connection when doing this.

Yes the logs were seperated.
No they were not outputting to the same file
Receiving quit is just how the thing works, don’t ask me why
The RAW logs.

Secondary Account:

tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
← :degnellahcyllausac!degnellahcyllausac@degnellahcyllausac.tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
tmi.twitch.tv MODE #tykuhn2
← :degnellahcyllausac.tmi.twitch.tv 353 degnellahcyllausac = #tykuhn2 :degnellahcyllausac
← :degnellahcyllausac.tmi.twitch.tv 366 degnellahcyllausac #tykuhn2 :End of /NAMES list
tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #tykuhn2 :Testing
← :tykuhn2!tykuhn2@tykuhn2.tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
← :tykuhn2!tykuhn2@tykuhn2.tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #tykuhn2 :Testing
tmi.twitch.tv QUIT :

Main Account:

tmi.twitch.tv PING :TIMEOUTCHECK
← :tmi.twitch.tv PONG tmi.twitch.tv :TIMEOUTCHECK
tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
← :tykuhn2!tykuhn2@tykuhn2.tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
tmi.twitch.tv MODE #tykuhn2
← :tykuhn2.tmi.twitch.tv 353 tykuhn2 = #tykuhn2 :tykuhn2
← :tykuhn2.tmi.twitch.tv 366 tykuhn2 #tykuhn2 :End of /NAMES list
← :degnellahcyllausac!degnellahcyllausac@degnellahcyllausac.tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #tykuhn2 :Testing
← :degnellahcyllausac!degnellahcyllausac@degnellahcyllausac.tmi.twitch.tv JOIN #tykuhn2
tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG #tykuhn2 :Testing
tmi.twitch.tv QUIT :
tmi.twitch.tv QUIT :

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.