Extracting certain data from channel API page

I know that the title is rather vague but I’ll give it better explanation here.

I plan on having a website list for my followers that has both their current profile picture and name under said picture as a clickable link to their channel.

I already am aware though of the 1700/2K(?) limit that the API has when retrieving followers.

Here’s what I would be doing

Using https://api.twitch.tv/kraken/channels/tehbasshunter/follows?direction=DESC&limit=100&offset=0 with each offest of 100 I would retrieve the channel name, link, and profile picture (This is assuming they have a custom one in use. If not I would use a placeholder) and display as shown below in the image.

Every Xhours the code would retrieve the information and compare it to the previous set. If there are any changes to followers it would remove the persons information and add new ones that were added between the retrievals.

Once the API limit is hit I would have a seperate code that would run a entered name against the channels that they are following. If the response comes back that they are following then they would be added at the next refresh assuming that they don’t unfollow before it occurs.

I’m not seeing an actual question here?

I did forget that didn’t I.

1. Is this possible at all?
  2. Are there api limits for how often I can retrieve the information I want?

This is very possible, and it sounds like you already know what you want to do. There aren’t any hard rate limits, but you should probably stick to a maximum of 1 request per second

Thought so. I promise I won’t be that greedy with the requests.

What’s the limit btw? I could’ve sworn it’s 1700 as I’ve seen in other posts but I might’ve seen 2K somewhere else.

The offset limit is 1600 per direction for now

The alternative now is you do a check per person per channel for following status. Which would seem to work OK for this use case: https://github.com/justintv/Twitch-API/blob/master/v3_resources/follows.md#get-usersuserfollowschannelstarget

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.