Get streams/followed without user_read?

Hello.

I’d like to get live streams of channels the user is following.
However that endpoint requires the user_read scope and I have no interest of the users email so would prefer to not ask for it upon authentication.

I could work around it and hit /kraken/channels/<channel ID>/follows, grab all ids then check against /kraken/streams which doesn’t require any authentication. But if there already is a dedicated endpoint to get the live streams the user is already following I’d prefer to use that, without asking for their email.

Maybe we can get a new user_following scope to request such information?
Or maybe make /kraken/streams/followed not require user_read ?

The get-channel-followers endpoint gets the users that follow a channel, not the channels that a user follows. The endpoint you want is get-user-follows which gets the channels that a user follows which does not require an oauth token or a scope.

You’re right @six, my bad.
But my question remains. Why not let us hit get-followed-streams without user_read scope. When we still can get that info by using get-user-follows to grab the follows, then check those against get-live-streams :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I don’t have that answer. Keep in mind there will be a lot more overhead by needing to make an extra request per channel that a user follows. Personally, I would prompt the user for the user_read scope since it’s not intrusive and is required by many other endpoints as well.

Great question. I’ve raised a ticket to investigate if this is necessary. I’m guessing it is an artifact of a time long, long ago when we returned some sensitive data in this endpoint (email, maybe?) and then removed it. I’ll keep you posted! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@DallasNChains Any update? :slight_smile:

Bump to prevent auto closing of this topic. Any news?

It’s on the backlog but no work has been done with it yet. I’ll keep you posted!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.