Helix API ClientID Limit

For the New API I saw this:

-Each client ID is granted a total of 30 queries per minute (if an OAuth token is not provided) or 120 queries per minute (if an OAuth token is provided), across all new Twitch API queries. If this limit is exceeded, an error is returned: HTTP 429 (Too Many Requests).

Is there anyway to increase the rate limit for a client id? My software allows users to create their own bots but the client ID is mine. It would be nice if they didn’t need to input their own Client ID.

The only way to increase the limit would be to use an OAuth token which would raise the limit to 120 requests per minute. Either you would have to supply your own token, or the user would supply their own and you would make requests on their behalf. Either way, the user would have to make a client id regardless since one is required to get an OAuth token.

I thought client ID is different than OAuth token though? Are you saying if you provide their OAuth it will use their client ID?

In order to obtain an OAuth token, you need to supply a client id. For example, like the process detailed outlined in the OAuth Implicit Code Flow. Basically, all a client id does is make it so Twitch can track what app is making what requests and provides no unique access. An OAuth token is a password of sorts, that can grant special permissions to make certain requests. Every OAuth token has a client id associated with it and can be extracted when used, which is why it can be supplied independently of a client id.

Either way, the user would have to make a client id regardless since one is required to get an OAuth token.

What if I have a site instead of an app that don’t require users to log in, how will I be able to get the 120 queries per minute? If the site ever picks up a decent amount of traffic it will be broken. 30 queries per minute is very low.

@LetsCode Use an app access token.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.