Hello World example from GDC Extensions Workshop

Hi. I’m close to getting the example color changer from the workshop on Monday of GDC working, but I’ve been unable to generate an SSL certificate on Windows and the readme from that example doesn’t offer much guidance.

‘npm run cert’ fails because “./bin/generate_cert.sh server” doesn’t work on Windows. I’ve tried downloading the OpenSSL source and building it with nmake (in a Visual Studio prompt) and the provided makefile, but that also hasn’t worked. Microsoft doesn’t offer any up-to-date documentation on the matter, either.

I’m not sure if this matters currently. I’m running the viewer.html and live-config.html with the frontend and backend running as per the readme, and I’m getting this error:

Failed to load https://client-event-reporter.twitch.tv/v1/stats: Response to preflight request doesn’t pass access control check: No ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ header is present on the requested resource. Origin ‘null’ is therefore not allowed access.

I’d like to have a more specific question here, but I have no web development experience so I’m not sure what to ask. Is this a problem with my certificates or something else?

Thanks.

Hi,
You can ignore this error message. It shows up because the extension is hosted locally on your PC and not on twitch.tv.

Okay, thanks. Are there other authentication things that won’t run locally but will when uploaded as my extension? I’m not getting the window.Twitch.ext.onAuthorized or window.Twitch.ext.onContext events right now, for example.