How to use cursor in getting every followers

Hi guys,
I’m using Phyton 3 (with Twitch API v5) for preparing an exam about “Social Media Mining”.
I need some help for getting all channel followers. I just tried with the offset, but it has a limit of 3400 followers (if using direction desc and asc).
I see that everybody says that cursor has no limits, but i don’t know how to use it!

Help me please!

Thank you so so so much!

P.S.: after having all the followers, I have to generate a graph. I’ll use Gephi… but how can I have the edge list???

The documentation for the call you’re referencing is here:

When you make your initial call, one of the properties in the response will be _cursor. One of the optional parameters you can provide is cursor. This instructs the API on where to begin its response. This will allow you to iterate through all of a channel’s followers.

1 Like

thank you so much for your response! excuse my ignorance, but how and where can I find the cursor?

An example response from GetChannelFollowers looks like this (per documentation):

{
   "_cursor": "1481675542963907000",
   "_total": 41,
   "follows": [{
      "created_at": "2016-12-14T00:32:22.963907Z",
      "notifications": false,
      "user": {
            "_id": "129454141",
            "bio": null,
            "created_at": "2016-07-13T14:40:42.398257Z",
            "display_name": "dallasnchains",
            "logo": null,
            "name": "dallasnchains",
            "type": "user",
            "updated_at": "2016-12-14T00:32:16.263122Z"
      }
   },
   ]
}

The first property in that response is _cursor. Use that value to page more listings.

Thanks again man… but where can i find it? in the console? in page analysis? because i’ve searched it everywhere, but i cant find it… i’m ignorant… sorry…
please, give me an example for calling the cursor; because, if i ask for a request client.channels.get_by_id(channel_id=…), python gives me all the parameters after ’ “follows”: [{ ', not _cursor and _total…

if i ask client.channel.get() gives me an error…

I think you’re calling the wrong endpoint. It sounds like you’re calling:
https://api.twitch.tv/kraken/channels/

when you should be calling:
https://api.twitch.tv/kraken/channels//follows

1 Like

thank you so much, i found that!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.