HTTP Error due to requests?

Hello fellow Twitch devs!

I have only been recently accessing the Twitch API and am currently having a blast. I am currently using a Python program that makes a request to get the /streams/summary to track the increase/decrease of channels and viewers. I am running an infinite loop but I am calling the sleep function to wait every 2 minutes before making another request. After about 3-4 calls I get this error message.

urllib.error.HTTPError: HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable

So I guess I have two questions:

1. Is this related to my program requesting too often?
  2. If yes what should my sleep time be?

Thank you for your help!

As far as I know there is not limiting when it comes to API calls. Fugiman talked about it here. As far as I know this policy hasn’t changed. What rate are you getting that 503 error at? Once every 15 calls, maybe more maybe less? I have a script that currently grabs the same summery metrics of viewers and channels and sends it off to a data stream; this runs every minute and I just have an error check to make sure I’ve pulled information before I send it off. Not sure if you’re doing this already but it’s a good idea.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.