IRC JOIN/PART events delayed significantly

I’ve seen JOIN events take as long as several minutes to actually arrive after a user sends a message, even in a channel with literally nobody else in it. I’m sure you can imagine how this is a pretty nasty problem.

And in channels over 1k chatters it doesn’t work at all.

Basically, JOIN/PART events are basically useless… So most of us don’t tend to consume them

So… is there actually no way of getting a reasonably accurate viewer list right now? Because that’s what I’m gathering from my R&D… no API endpoint for current viewers, no NAMES on command, JOIN/PART are hilariously unreliable…

There’s the undocumented chatters endpoint http://tmi.twitch.tv/group/user/CHANNEL_NAME/chatters that you could use. This is NOT a list of viewers though, it’s a list of people connected to chat and in that channel, they may not be watching the stream (but this fact also remains with things like JOIN/PART messages too). It’s also cached like all endpoints so it’s accuracy may or may not suit your use case.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.