IRC - Receiving Notifications

Hi all,

I’m having some trouble understand how to get notifications (e.g. 'Bits") using IRC. Are these notifications automatically received when I log onto the server and enter a room? If not, what do I need to do to start receiving them? I’m fairly new to IRC programming so any assistance figuring this out would be a great help.

If you want to keep it within IRC, then the only way to monitor for Bits is to send the CAP REQ: "twitch.tv/tags". So when someone sends bits, there is a bit tag shown, below is a example response with tags (there is more that is sent, but I have removed extra stuff we are not looking for.):

@badges=subscriber/6,bits/1000;bits=100;color=;display-name=Larklen;emotes=; :larklen!larklen@larklen.tmi.twitch.tv PRIVMSG :cheer100

The ‘bits/1000’ shows what bits badge the user currently has and the tag ‘bits=100’ is how many bits where sent in that message (we can see the user sent the message ‘cheer100’.

So on your end, you would monitor for valid bits on a per message basis.

The alternative to IRC tags is the Twitch PubSun system found here but it does not go through IRC.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.