Issue setting up dev rig

Hi there i’m trying to get the developer rig to start. In the Create New Extension Project menu i’m entering my clientID, secret and version number (0.0.1) and trying to fetch, but no matter what i do it always sends back authentication failed. I keep trying to change the secret and entering it, but it’s always authentication failed, getting a 401 in the console.

Is there something i’ve missed? I followed the setup instructions to a tee yet i’m super stuck.

Have you tried under the Troubleshooting section of the https://github.com/twitchdev/developer-rig:

• Clear your browser cache and local storage and restart the Developer Rig.

• To delete the Rig’s local storage open the javascript console in your browser on a tab with the Rig open and enter localStorage.clear() then refresh.

1 Like

Alternatively you can join the beta for the Native Dev Rig by signing up here: https://goo.gl/forms/zKaQNGbyVWvQv8LB2.

2 Likes

Hi there i did both those things are there’s no change. In the documentation it says the default version number on a new extension is set to 0.0.1, so thats what im entering. Is that the correct thing to do?

EDIT.
For reference, i’ve just finished a web dev bootcamp where most of the work was done within c9, so i’m still getting used to the idea of terminals and local dev servers and all that jazz. I’m guessing its likely i’ve missed something in the process that might seem super obvious to someone more experienced.

EDIT #2
I’ve tried the troubleshooting tips multiple times, included clearing out chrome history/cache/passwords all out, and using localStorage.clear() and refreshing, and i’m getting ‘Authentication failed’ in the Create New Extension Project window. I’m also getting a
‘GET https://api.twitch.tv/extensions/cmbeisfl6zwo6jhteewsldhnrcbuc8/0.0.1 401’ in the console. I have no idea why this won’t work.

I tried re-registering the app on the twitch dev dashboard, and re-running the configure and run files, and the entering the details again, without any luck.

Just to check, are there any previous requirements that aren’t stated before you start trying to use the dev rig? Everything in configure installs fine, and the rig window appears without a problem, it’s just my details won’t authenticate no matter what.

I registered, but the e-mail is yet to come through. Is there a slight waiting time?

Figured it out! Was trying to connect an App rather than an extension.

Sorry for the late reply. I know how it can seem like a while when you need help. But I had to push an update today.

Have you solved your issue?

1 Like

All sorted! Thanks dash!

So i’ve got the rig running, and i’m going to try do it with express. Are there any examples of express extension apps available to use for reference? I’m not sure where to start.

Express is just a HTTP server.

An extension is just a collection of HTML, JS, and CSS files, express doesn’t have any bearing here.

So any Express tutorial will cover the requirements that you need for an Express based EBS. As thats just GET/POST requests.

Ah ok got it. I’ve just finished web dev bootcamp recently so i’m still a bit fuzzy on terminology.

So i can make a node website with an express back end no problem. And render websites and do all that, but i don’t know how to do the same thing with a twitch extension. Do you render the pages the same way? When making the express apps on node js, i used to start a locally hosted server to run the back end, with which i rendered front end ejs files in google chrome. On the dev rig, it asks for a front-end host command. I think i’m lacking some fundamental understanding.

No.

You make static HTML/JS/CSS files. Which will be served from Twitch’s servers.

And your EBS will be on your own server.

So whilst you could serve these files off your Express server during testing, you won’t be able to do stuff like Pug templating for example. So you’d be using the “static” serving element of Express here

1 Like

A Twitch Extension is a website displayed in an iframe on Twitch. As @BarryCarlyon mentioned, it is a collection of files that make up your “website”. Your website can be a simple static content site that just shows “hello world”, or it can be something complex that requires an Extension Back-end Service (EBS). The EBS is optional and is not hosted on Twitch.

During testing, you specify where your front-end files are located, which could be local or on the server that’s hosting your EBS. But after you’re done testing, you upload your “zipped” front-end files to Twitch. Now your front-end is hosted on Twitch, and if you have an EBS, your front-end will still communicate to it by AJAX. Just make sure the paths to your EBS are correct in your front-end AJAX and CORS is set properly on your EBS server.

1 Like