Issue with the followed endpoint on v5

Hello, I’m currently migrating from v3 to v5 and I’m running into an old issue that I used to have on v3 with the https://api.twitch.tv/kraken/streams/followed endpoint.

Sometimes the amount of online streams will drop a large amount when making a request to the endpoint, only to correct itself the next request. For example, say I have 8 channels I’m following online, it might for a single API request return only 1 stream online, then the next request show the correct 8 channels online again.

I had this issue with v3 in 2015, but seemed it was fixed and I never ran into the issue again. After now switching to v5, I’m noticing this bug happening again frequently. It started in the last hour or two. Is this just a coincidence and there is a temporary issue with the API at the moment, or is this a bug that was never fixed?

Thanks for any help.

This is not something I have observed myself, but whenever I did use this (or the streams end point) I only ever counted a stream as offline if it was not in the response for three concurrent calls where I called the end point via cron once per minute.

So it smoothed out any bouncing that occurred. Whether that was the streamer bouncing or TwitchAPI, I smoothed

These days I’m on webhooks instead

https://dev.twitch.tv/docs/api/webhooks-guide/

Depending on your use case for this endpoint, this might be a better solution

Webhooks won’t work in my case as I’m using the Twitch API through a desktop application and not a webserver where I would be able to specify a callback URL.

I was just wondering if tonight the v5 API was experiencing issues and it was just coincidence this bug occurred just as I was migrating to v5, or if this is an actual long unfixed bug. I have not had this bug occur on v3 for several years.

I do have some ideas to mitigate the bug if it happens, similar to what you mentioned. But it isn’t bulletproof.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.