Multiple problems with the hello world

I’m having a terrible time getting the developer rig running on my Windows 8.1 box. I can’t create a project with any of the projects offered as starter code (Hello World, etc.). When I try I get the really unhelpful error “Something went wrong. Please try saving your project again”.

I can create a completely empty project by unselecting the “use code” option. But I really need some starter code to work with. So I downloaded this repo and executed a npm install command. Despite that I had to use npm to install the hapi package. Apparently I’m not the only person who had that problem:

But now when I try to follow the ReadMe directions and create the certificates I get the following error on the first command:

C:\Users\Robert\Documents\GitHub\ME\TWITCH\Extensions\extensions-hello-world>node scripts/ssl.js
module.js:549
    throw err;
    ^

Error: Cannot find module 'C:\Users\Robert\Documents\extensions-hello-world\scripts\ssl.js'
    at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:547:15)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:474:25)
    at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:693:10)
    at startup (bootstrap_node.js:191:16)
    at bootstrap_node.js:612:3

How do I fix this and is there a reason I’m having such a difficult time getting a working extension setup with the developer rig? Also, Node.JS on windows can’t seem to find any of the EXT_ environment variables* I set so I am currently forced to use the command line variables. Someone might want to investigate this.

Lastly, you might want to edit the ReadMe to tell people the owner ID is just the Twitch user ID associated with the Twitch channel tied to the client ID associated with the extension. curl is not a resident command on a Windows box so you can’t use it with a default Win config. I’m guessing you do most of your dev on a Mac?

Fortunately I have MSYS installed so I could get to CURL there, but many of your other Windows users will have to wrestle with that requirement. I second that other thread that requests Linux support for the developer rig.

In case anybody else runs into this. The hello-world-extension sample is missing the hapi NPM package and has the wrong names for the environment variables so if you try to use the ones given in the repo ReadMe for: client secret, client owner ID, and client ID they won’t work and you will have to use the command line arguments instead.

I forked the repo and fixed these two issues. Waiting on a pull request:

Adjusted title to be more representative of the content, issues with hello world. I think the examples are getting completely overhauled some once the New Native Rig reaches a certain point

You may want to consider moving to Windows 10. And afaik should be trivial to put a Windows (10 at least) machine into developer mode and install all sorts of things (like cURL) into $path.

Heres cURL for example

https://curl.haxx.se/windows/

Sorta assumed knowledge, but this hello world example is older, it contains a lot of stuff you don’t really need for the example in the current native rig.

It says “ownerID” so as users/developers don’t try to use the channelID of a channel they are installing into. But Terminology can be confusing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.