[PSA] Group Chat is migrating to AWS servers

Yeah, I couldn’t get any whispers from my bot so far. Also NAMES list is broken every time I join a channel.

NAMES doesn’t really work…

If you request CAP Membership it’ll “behave” better for channels sub 1000 people.

Yeah it doesn’t work for me even with CAP REQ :twitch.tv/membership. The only known (former) group chat server IP that has a 100% working NAMES list was 199.9.253.120. The rest don’t send those lists correctly, some of those servers have NAMES working if a room (both group and main) has least 10-20 people online. Pretty annoying and quite threatening to bots that welcome people. :stuck_out_tongue:

I seem to be getting some missws receipts on AWS as well.

17 sent – 13 received on AWS – all 17 received via the pubsub WebSocket feed

Now that this is all on the same server. Does this affect chat rate limits at all or are they still separate between chat and whispers??

I see the same on the Main Site. (Main site has been whisper droppy for about a week in fact) (I don’t use ANY plugins)

Whispers used the same servers as group chat in the past, but thanks to the migration, they can now be sent and received from the same server as main chat. And I don’t think rate limits are affected at all.

Since we’re on the Group chat topic. Any chance Modding people in group chat rooms will be fixed?

Hi,

I have an IRC client set up to work with Twitch IRC. I have the CAP commands integrated and working. It’s also connected to the AWS servers.

I’m trying to use whispers and I can send whispers fine using /w username message. But when sending a whisper from desktop to the IRC client, nothing is received, nothing in the logs at all.

Is there anything I’m missing? I am trying to see the whisper in a Twitch channel, is that possible or do I need to make two connections to different channels or something?

Hey guys!

I’ve found a problem with my bot.
With a connection open and ACK commands sent, All my bot does is relay a message back to me. (same message I sent)

I noticed every second time I get the message back; so I check the log.
My bot receives only ~40% of the messages.

Most of the time it will get every second message. Sometimes it will not get two in a row, sometimes it WILL get 2 in a row.

Is this a known cause?

I noticed the same behaviour and I can confirm 40-50%.

I tested again today and the WHISPER command message came through. But as others have said some are not getting received still.

Hello all,

Since the migration, my bot can’t whisp.
I’ve fixed this only for one day but since yesterday the bot can’t send whisp.
Someone cans explain me how fix this please?

I use my bot on IRC

Sissous, is your bot connecting to one of the group chat IP’s? You can now use irc.chat.twitch.tv instead which might fix it. But at the moment whispers seem to be randomly going missing when sent to IRC, could be fixed now though.

When I changed over I am receiving whispers but can’t send any. I get this: @msg-id=whisper_invalid_login :tmi.twitch.tv NOTICE #jtv :No user matching that login. … any ideas?

I believe that means that person you’re trying to whisper doesn’t exist.

Can anyone help me?

I have noticed when receiving whispers over IRC clients, the whisper is only received if the whisper is sent to a user in all lowercase like /w user message. If it is sent like /w User message the whisper is not received in the IRC client. Is this something I could change in my coding?

In Twitch chat the auto-complete tab function automatically capitalizes the first letter of a username which makes this a pain.

I have had some issues receiving whispers over my IRC client.
I am running 2 instances, one connected to irc.twitch.tv (port 6667) and connected to my main channel, and then I have a 2nd instance connected to irc.chat.twitch.tv (port 80) and connected to a group chat I made specifically for running the bot.
The bot has been able to send whispers on both servers using /raw PRIVMSG #jtv :/w [name] [message].
I have sent /raw CAP REQ :twitch.tv/commands on both instances, both in the status window and in the chat window, and I have whispered it both from myself and from people I requested to whisper it, and nothing ever shows up. It’s able to read the group chat fine, and it’s able to get commands such as HOSTTARGET and ROOMSTATE fine, but it never detects any whispers.

Thanks the all lowercase name may be my issue. Will have to check my code. Can anyone confirm that PRIVMSG #jtv :/w is still the correct syntax or was this changed maybe?

Yep. Sending whispers is still the same format :slight_smile: Tested with my bot :slight_smile:
Just remember to send it as a raw message and not a IRC chat response