Question about Terms of Use

So, after reading through the Twitch terms of use, I came across this:

You agree that you will comply with these Terms of Service and Twitch’s Community Guidelines and will not:

xi. access any website, server, software application, or other computer resource owned, used and/or licensed by Twitch, including but not limited to the Twitch Services, by means of any robot, spider, scraper, crawler or other automated means for any purpose, or bypass any measures Twitch may use to prevent or restrict access to any website, server, software application, or other computer resource owned, used and/or licensed Twitch, including but not limited to the Twitch Services;

Isn’t accessing the API a direct contradiction of this? What explicitly grants the right for us to use the API which Twitch has intended for use by third parties, that overrides this terms of use clause?

No

because:

You are not building one of those things. You are building an application that talks to Twitch generally based on user actions or collecting information on their behalf where as these “things” listed are collecting data to be aggregated for some non user direct issue.

Sure it’s a tad ambiguous but thats my intrepretation

I don’t see how any app cannot fall under the “automated means” category.

The way I understand ‘automated means’, in context with the other parts of that section, is referring to apps that automatically go from website to website to gather data. As opposed to 3rd party Twitch apps which are specifically coded to access Twitch services.

1 Like

Accessing the API is specifically, separately covered in the Developer Agreement.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.