RFC 0012 - Component Extension Redesign

Removing all the “buttons” to open extension is a great thing, it will make the streaming experience cleaner when using extensions.
But at the same time, it’s removing the interactive possibilities for extensions that don’t need to be displayed on all the player but should be there all the time.

Here are my concerns :

On my extension Live Requests I do have a notification system since the streamer can accept the viewers’ requests and then the viewer has to send the bits for it.
So I have a notification system to alert the viewer when he needs to send the bits. This system is also used to engage viewers, inform them when the streamer start something, inform them when the streamer finish their request so they can ask a new one.

What would be possible with this RFC to keep a similar system? I don’t want to send private messages to the viewers because it is intrusive and not interactive. Extension chat messages are not an option since some messages are meant to be displayed to one person only.
Part of it could be solved with RFC0011, but not the notification system.
So do you plan on having a notification system, where we can still send per viewer messages to inform them that something happened and they have to interact with the extension?

My second Extension Quests is meant to be an interactive overlay and to be displayed all the time to newcomers to quickly inform them about what the streamer is doing.
With this RFC I would have to switch to a video overlay extension. Which is way overkill for this extension since I only need 20% of the width and 50% of the height of the video player.

Is it planned to have a “displayed by default” extension?
Or a potential solution would be to still have the video components system as it is, but to only one of them at the time, like a video overlay but the video component extension would have much stricter rules in term of design UI/UX. For example, these extensions should not have a button to click to open them.
And we could still add the extension sidebar for extensions that previously required a button to open

Also some other questions:
If a viewer opens an extension and moves the mouse out of the player, will the extension still be displayed?
Will the sidebar always be on the right? Or can the streamers set it on the left, bottom, top?

1 Like