Streaming Chat Data

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere. I’ve read the Terms of Service but have never been super duper at reading legal documents and I want to be 100% sure of what is right and what is wrong.

Right now, I’ve made some pretty good progress on creating an app that utilizes Twitch chat data using Apache Kafka, Spark, and Cassandra to try to find some interesting relationships/patterns in chat data. But, after reading the terms of service, I would definitely have to discontinue to the application if I kept everything as-is. I’d be curious if I would be able to do the things below so that instead of scrapping the whole project, I can at least tune it down a couple notches so that it would still be accepting as per Twitch’s Terms of Service. For example, I wouldn’t need to store data in a database, I could just process it live and display it on a webpage or something similar.

Here are some basic functionalities I’d be curious about. If they are a violation of Twitch’s Terms of Service, I am very interested in things I can do to make sure it isn’t a violation.

• display simple ranked metrics (e.g., leaderboard of which user has the most non-spam messages)
  • alternatively, create a leaderboard which shows the channel that has the most “memes”, or other interesting things about a channel
  • facilitate natural language processing on the chat messages to identify trends/relationships between/in games
  • something super simple: type in a sentence and guess which stream it came from

Please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

I’m not 100% sure but I think legal@twitch.tv would be able to give you a concrete answer. Maybe just send them this post with some details about the website etc.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.