[suggestion] A NOTICE msg-id for Authentication Failed and Improperly formatted auth

It would be nice to have a msg-id attached to the NOTICE received for “Login authentication failed” and “Improperly formatted auth”. To be able to parse them on the msg-id rather than a long string (that can change?).

On incorrect NICK or PASS apply a tag with for example @msg-id=auth_fail_credentials
current response (even with CAP tags): :tmi.twitch.tv NOTICE * :Login authentication failed

On improperly formatted oauth apply a tag with for example @msg-id=auth_fail_format
current response (even with CAP tags): :tmi.twitch.tv NOTICE * :Improperly formatted auth

I now check for these two edge cases after I have done all the parsing of the message, as the only reference I have now is the actual chat message which I do not really want to rely on to make a proper fail-safe piece of connection, especially if I cannot tell if this message will change or not during the time due to it not being documented.

Also in my current application, I issue a failed authentication event to inform the user to relink and to disable certain UI elements that should not be available if there is no proper authenticated IRC connection.

While I am at it, wouldn’t it a bit easier or cleaner to for devs to have:

• A NOTICE on successful authentication with for example @msg-id=auth_success

• I now issue a successful authentication event on when I received the command 376 which obvious works but I guess it would be a bit cleaner to have NOTICE with msg-id to use.

• A NOTICE on trying to JOIN a non-existing channel with for example @msg-id=msg_channel_not_exists

• Because it currently silently drops the JOIN command, I am now using a specific time-out timer to cancel the connect process, to inform the user, and to disconnect as it is one automated workflow.

• Seeing that there is already @msg=msg_channel_suspended I wouldn’t know why an unknown channel drops instead of issuing a NOTICE with a tag.

Unless I am missing something obvious to do all of this differently, without relying on the Twitch API.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.