Twitch API error messages to be updated over time starting June 2022

Starting on June 6, 2022, Twitch API error messages (i.e. the string values) will be updated over time for readability and additional guidance. There are no changes to the HTTP response status codes. There are also no changes to how and when API error statuses are returned.

Why are we making this change?

When errors occur, we want to provide the most meaningful information to help developers troubleshoot the underlying issue. Our goal is to improve this aspect of the developer experience through these updates.

When will these updates be completed?

A number of error messages will be updated over the summer starting on the date above. That being said, there is no completion date for error message updates as we intend to continually update these strings as needed to improve Twitch API endpoints.

Who will be impacted by these changes?

We are aware it is possible, although not likely in most cases, that a developer may have included logic in their Twitch integrations based on the text in an error message rather than relying on the HTTP response status code. For this reason, we have decided to provide this announcement and a period of time for any dependencies on string parsing to be updated prior to Twitch API response changes.

What is an example of this change?

Here is an example of how the error message associated with a 403 error response will change for the “Start Commercial” API endpoint when two requests are too close together.

Current Response

{
"error": "Forbidden",
"status": 403,
"message": "channel for id 141981764 has recently ran a commercial"
}

New response

This is what the new response message text may look like. The exact wording is not final.

{
"error": "Forbidden",
"status": 403,
"message": "The broadcaster may not run another commercial until the cooldown period expires."
}
3 Likes

Will there be any announcements posted when these changes are applied?
I would like to avoid having to keep looking for the changes myself every day throughout all the summer months.

Unfortunately using logic on the error messages is the only way to get some sort of feedback on when e.g. a commercial can’t run.

1 Like

For the batch of updates that will take place this year, I’ll make a note for us to post a reply to this announcement as they occur.

1 Like