Twitch authentication question

Hi,

I made a little CRUD web app in Polymer/LitElement for a chatbot that i created. The bot has an amount of commands, and i thought it would be cool to have a little gui where you can update/add/delete commands.

So far so good. I’m trying to secure the site by making the user login via twitch, and making an api call to see if the user is a mod or not. If the user is a mod, they will be able to update/add/delete commands, if not, they wont.

I’ve been looking at this: https://github.com/twitchdev/authentication-samples/tree/master/node
and played around with it a little bit, but im not entirely sure how to implement it in my app.

So what i have is a Polymer frontend, and an express server. I’ve implemented the code above into my own project, added my client id etc etc, and it works fine if I go to: localhost:3000/auth i get to see the ‘connect to twitch button’. If I click it, it redirects me to the login to twitch page, and after success it redirects me back to ‘/’.

I’ve implemented the code to check if the user is a mod as well. I tried to save that data to a session by doing:
req.session.ismod = true;

But then if i request my /api/commands endpoint (which requires the user to be a mod) from my frontend, and console log ‘req.session.ismod’, its undefined.

Im fairly new to authentication/session stuff, but I’m hoping someone with more experience could show me the ropes a little bit and hopefully point me in the right direction.

Mod is not a flag returned by the TwitchAPI

It’s not available in the TwitchAPI to be fetched. Theres a couple of ways round it, like having your bot run /mods and reading the response or other chat based things. But it’s not in the TwitchAPI itself

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.