Unable to get app access token

Hey all,

I am building a website where I will need access to finding specific games and streamers a user searches for. In order for me to search for games and streamers, I need to use OAuth Authentication.

It seems to me that I need to use the OAuth client credentials flow.

I have followed the example and am trying to do the API call in Node.js using Express, but I am getting an error called Unexpected token p in JSON at position 4. It seems to be some sort of FetchError but I can not find the solution everywhere. I will link my code below and would appreciate any help I can get! I am ommiting my client_id and client_secret from the code for obvious reasons.

router.post('/', async (req, res) => {
    console.log('name route it')
    try {
        const tokenCall = await fetch('https://id.twitch.tv/oauth2/token?client_id=<id>&client_secret=<secret>&grant_type=client_credentials', {
        })
        const token = await tokenCall.json()
        console.log(token, '<- token in Twitch call')
    } catch (err) {
        console.log(err, '<- err in token call')
    }
})

Thank you!

Check the contents of tokenCall (before trying to JSON parse) to check it’s what you expect it should be. Before trying to json parse it

1 Like

Luckily I tried that before but really don’t get much info from the response. It does show the status as 404 though, but it isn’t hitting the catch error so I am not quite sure what this means.

Response {
  size: 0,
  timeout: 0,
  [Symbol(Body internals)]: {
    body: PassThrough {
      _readableState: [ReadableState],
      readable: true,
      _events: [Object: null prototype],
      _eventsCount: 2,
      _maxListeners: undefined,
      _writableState: [WritableState],
      writable: false,
      allowHalfOpen: true,
      _transformState: [Object],
      [Symbol(kCapture)]: false
    },
    disturbed: false,
    error: null
  },
  [Symbol(Response internals)]: {
    url: 'https://id.twitch.tv/oauth2/token?client_id=<id>&client_secret=<secret>&grant_type=client_credentials',
    statusText: 'Not Found',
    headers: Headers { [Symbol(map)]: [Object: null prototype] },
    counter: 0
  }
} <- token in Twitch call

Your fetch request made a HTTP Get request instead of a HTTP Post request

Try

const tokenCall = await fetch('https://id.twitch.tv/oauth2/token?client_id=<id>&client_secret=<secret>&grant_type=client_credentials', { method: 'post' 
    })

It worked! OMG thank you! I am wondering why I had to do that. I was sending a POST request from Postman and I had it labeled as router.post in the back end as well so I am wondering why Twitch needed this extra step.

So what is the best approach for using the token? This is the first time I have ever had to do this with an API.

Is it bad to get a token on every API request when I need to access data such as games, channels, etc. from Twitch?

yes

A token is valid for 60 days (check the expires time (in seconds) returned in the JSON blob

You should obtain, store and reuse a token until it is close to expiration

Thanks for the info! Going to have to learn how to do that, so good to know!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.