Unable to have my bot send whispers

As of today, my bot is unable to send whispers.
Yesterday I experienced no issues. My bot replied to my commands properly.
And now, out of nowhere, I am getting this NOTICE after attempting to whisper:

full_message: @msg-id=whisper_restricted;target-user-id=94714716 :tmi.twitch.tv NOTICE #cubiedev :Your settings prevent you from sending this whisper.
        tags: {'msg-id': 'whisper_restricted', 'target-user-id': '94714716'}
        command: tmi.twitch.tv NOTICE #cubiedev
                user: None
                type: NOTICE
                params: #cubiedev
                channel: cubiedev
        message: Your settings prevent you from sending this whisper.

Some notes:

• All of the whispers I attempt to send are replies to commands that are also in whispers. No unsolicited whispers. All whispers are reactions to whispers coming in.
  • Not on my account, nor my bot account, is the setting “Prevent whispers from strangers” enabled.
  • Not on my account, nor my bot account did I change any settings.
  • I am connected via IRC, and send my whispers in the form of PRIVMSG #cubiedev :/w cubiedev Test!\r\n.
  • Never before have I experienced issues with whispering.
  • Sending regular chat messages works fine.
  • Considering the bot worked fine yesterday, and stopped working today, I doubt I hit any rate limits.
  • I tried this while being friends with the bot, and while not being friends.
  • I tried this while following the bot, and while not following the bot.

I really need the ability to send whispers for this project.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be, or how I might avoid it?

Here’s a bit of code I threw together to showcase the issue: https://github.com/CubieDev/TwitchSendMessage

1 Like

I am able to reproduce your error when using my own account (pajlada), but when using my bot account (pajbot) it sends the whisper properly.
My bot account is a verified bot account.

This issue is currently affecting the Chatterino chat client, making all users of it unable to send whispers.

1 Like

My bot is not a verified bot account.
I’ve seen a few people talk about how they got a link whispered to them from a bot over the last few weeks, leading me to believe that Twitch may have banned all whispering from bot accounts that are not verified.

I will look into the process of verifying my bot.

If you have any idea where I should do this, please let me know.

https://dev.twitch.tv/limit-increase/ is the page where you would submit a bot verification request. In case that link ever changes, the process should be described here: https://dev.twitch.tv/docs/irc/guide/#known-and-verified-bots

1 Like

Unfortunately becoming a verified bot doesn’t really sound like a solution for normal users trying to whisper using third-party clients.

1 Like

Same

This issue has been noted and is also affecting other clients (not specific to bots)

It has been reported higher up and a fix is awaiting

1 Like

It is reported that this might now be resolved.

I’m not sure if the fix has already gone live everywhere, but I appear to still be having this issue. Output from the code linked to in my original post:

/w CubieDev Hello!
full_message: @msg-id=whisper_restricted;target-user-id=94714716 :tmi.twitch.tv NOTICE #cubiedev :Your settings prevent you from sending this whisper.
tags: {‘msg-id’: ‘whisper_restricted’, ‘target-user-id’: ‘94714716’}
command: tmi.twitch.tv NOTICE #cubiedev
user: None
type: NOTICE
params: #cubiedev
channel: cubiedev
message: Your settings prevent you from sending this whisper.

To update:

The issue is on going and activly being worked on

2 Likes

Works for me now

1 Like

It works for me too, now.

Thanks to Barry for being the communication between us and the people working on this. I would’ve been quite stressed if it wasn’t for your messages.

1 Like

Apologies for the issues- was going to post here, but apparently I’m too late.

Thanks @pajlada and @BarryCarlyon! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just following up that this doesn’t appear fixed as I’m running into this problem in a new chatbot today cc: @BarryCarlyon @ConcreteEntree

Coming here from https://github.com/tmijs/tmi.js/issues/333

@msg-id=whisper_restricted;target-user-id=<redacted> :tmi.twitch.tv NOTICE #tmijs :Your settings prevent you from sending this whisper.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.