Using extension OAuth for web port of extension

I’ve got an extension, and I’m currently porting that extension to be a stand-alone web site. I want someone who has used the app as an extension to be able to auth with Twitch on the web site, and see the same user data.

My first pass at this re-uses the Extension’s Client ID, as I am able to provide a “OAuth Redirect URI”, and generate a “Client Secret”, which I’ve tested and work fine with my web site.

Since I know it is possible, now I’m curious if it is OK to do this instead of creating a whole new app?

One thing I don’t like about it is that the login page that comes up says “Authorize Extension [extension name] [ten digit number (random?)] to use your account?”. It might be worth it to create a new app just to customize that better.

Theoretically yes.

Logically the only difference between web and extension is the method to get the user’s Twitch ID.

However on web you won’t be able to use the Twitch Extension helper, which’ll mean a bit of restructuring if you are trying to use identical code.

I run an extension that has a website where people can perform the same actions as in the extension. Both do their respective oAuth/TwitchID dances and then talk to a common API, and different display functions display the data.

So, yeah I have a common User data, but the frontends are completely different

Yeah, I guess I’m more concerned about using the ClientID/ClientSecret from the Extension with a web site. They are the same app, from my point of view, but I could understand if they are not the same app from Twitch’s point of view.

I think it would be wise to use separate clientID’s secrets (which is what I do), since both ClientID’s would need different Callback/Redirect URI’s.

Also means users can grant/disallow the extension and the website’s access’ seperately