V5 Check Channel Subscription by User wrong sub_plan

Hi,

I recently noticed an odd behaviour of my API Call. The User is definitely subscribed as Prime Sub, but I’m getting 3000 as sub_plan answer. The sub_plan_name also refers to a 24,99$ sub.

If I’m not wrong, it should be like this:

1000: Prime & Tier 1
2000: Tier 2
3000: Tier 3

Right?

1 Like

This API endpoint seems to be broken right now. I’ve had code running for the last 2 years that was checking sub status of users from the channel using /kraken/channels/:channel/subscriptions/:user and it is returning a Tier 3 plan for every valid Twitch user all of a sudden. I doubt I’ve been using it wrong for 2 years without a complaint but tonight was the first time someone said everyone was getting a sub status.

Digging into it, it actually looks like something changed and caused it to use the /kraken/users/:user/subscriptions/:channel endpoint instead.

If I use my oauth token /kraken/channels/:channel/subscriptions/:user and replace :channel with someone I am subscribed to, it returns with the correct information, but that’s not the scope I requested nor how that endpoint should work.

Knowing this is currently breaking the scope permissions I granted my account, I’m a bit concerned with what other scopes are currently broken and what data could be accessed with it. This is really concerning.

I am observing the same behaviour. /kraken/channels/:channel/subscriptions/:user seems to always return the sub as if you provided the value for :channel as :user, regardless of whether :user is someone different. It happens for both affiliate and partner channels.

Is there an issue going on with this end point? I can’t seem to get any valid subscriptions returned as of an hour or two ago.

This is in fact broken and has caused a massive headache.

For everyone else: If you have the user’s authentication and the correct scope, you can switch around your authentication.

This has been letting people access private sub servers protected by MCLink.

Hey everyone, @Syzuna brought this post to my attention (and a couple others for the same issue). I’ve bookmarked these for Monday when I’ll try to track this down with the engineering team.

3 Likes

So? Any news? This has been going on for at least a month after checking my past logs and it continues to be an issue. I reached out to Twitch staff that I knew and they said they brought it up and that the team was already aware, but that was 2 weeks ago now as well. This is a pretty big deal for it to continue to be broken.

I’d like to point out again that this introduces a slight security issue as well, since the scope of this API endpoint /kraken/channels/:channel/subscriptions/:user normally requires user_subscriptions but in this case, any valid oauth token works. I don’t have time to search all other endpoints, but this leads me to believe that other endpoints could be affected and could be a concern.

1 Like

Hey,
just found this post.

To add on that, even though I was not able to make it working with:
‘kraken/channels/:channel/subscriptions/:user’ (the scope seems to have changed again…)

For me it only returns valid responses at the moment, when my request has the following (incorrect!) format:
/kraken/channels/:user_id/subscriptions/:channel_id

When I interchange :user_id and :channel_id (and therefore follow the CORRECT(!) format: https://dev.twitch.tv/docs/v5/reference/channels/#check-channel-subscription-by-user ) I receive:
{
[“error”]=>
string(9) “Forbidden”
[“status”]=>
int(403)
[“message”]=>
string(49) “Cannot view channel subscription of another user.”
}

In addition, when I try to access sub information of a person, who CLEARLY is a sub (with access_token etc.) I get the response that he is NOT a sub.

The only thing where this is currently working correctly is:
a) Either a person is not a sub anyways
b) on my own account (logging in with my id etc.).

So, who is fiddling around there?! :confused:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.