What does the tag_ids key mean?

I cannot seem to figure out what the tag_ids key means in the get streams response from the new api. Any help or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

As the name suggests, the field is an array of id’s for the tags used by the stream. Tags are one of the ways you can filter streamers, as there are tags for English, 100%, Educational, just to name a few of the many tags that there are.

For example, 6ea6bca4-4712-4ab9-a906-e3336a9d8039 is the id for the tag English, and if I go to https://www.twitch.tv/directory/all/tags/6ea6bca4-4712-4ab9-a906-e3336a9d8039 it will display all currently live streams with that tag.

Helix is still very much a work in progress, and as this is not documented (and tags themselves are relatively new), a complete set of endpoints to make use of tags is not yet documented or complete.

currently there’s no official endpoint to translate a tag id into its name, and hopefully a Twitch dev can clarify how the tags are listed in the API as currently it seems to only show some of the tags used on a stream, I’m not sure if this may be because some are applied automatically based on the game and thus not included in the tag_ids field or maybe for some other reason, so if anyone can shed some light on that it’d be great.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.