Why does Twitch Chat try to interpret "./" as a command?

The purpose of the . is explicitly to prevent it from parsing as a command. Why does Twitch think they’re more important than user intentions? This is wrong.

if you are referring to the IRC RFC’s

TMI aka Twitch Messaging interface, noes not abide by the relevant RFC’s it merely implements part of it and happens to be roughly IRC client compatible.

Twitch Chat is NOT IRC

Edit: the use of the . over the / is to allow for some IRC clients trying to send /timeout as a server command instead of a TMI command.

I said nothing about comparing it to the IRC spec, I was talking about user expectations. In every single case where / is used as a command character, ./ is used (usually jokingly) to send the text of the command visibly, not execute the command. Twitch is the only platform I’ve ever seen ignore that behavior, and it is wrong.

1 Like

Apologies then

I’m starting to imagine what joke actually got executed now…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Years ago it was decided that . would be equivalent to / for chat commands in order to avoid conflicts with IRC clients hooking /. So .me is equivalent to /me. It’s not about being more important than user-intentions. Over the years some exceptions have been added, such as ... no longer being treated as a /.. command.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.