Twitch API help

Hi everyone,

I’m new here. I’m a Masters student and starting to look for ideas for my final thesis. One idea came across my mind was to text mine twitch chat during Esports events and look at different patterns. Now I have to be honest I am not a good programmer and don’t have much software background.

All I wanted to know if Its possible to use twitch’s API and grab the chat from any channel I want? or only from my channel? I have been searching forums and youtube videos but not getting an unambiguous/straight answer.

Thanks

You can connect to the Twitch Chat (TMI - Twitch Messaging Interface) via IRC or websockets. The conversational chat is not in the API.

Thanks Matt.

But it is possible right?

I’m trying to connect to a twitch channel’s chat (mainly an esports event) and grab the live chat. I will be using that for data analysis.

You will want to make sure you don’t breach this agreement. As you have described your usage I don’t think you would though.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.